Thursday, October 7, 2010

Going Home for Inspiration 3: Kids in the Bush










Before life got complicated, there was childhood. No bills to pay, no decisions to make about dinner or exercise, career moves and definitely no worries about a supposed Mr. Right and the time of day he would finally stop by. Before busy highways and gated communities, before energy conservation, fatty snacks and obesity, there was the bush.

I grew up in Jamaica without what we now hail as basic conveniences. In my home/yard, there was no electricity, no running water or television. Such were luxuries. Looking back, I may have been a statistic, numbered among the poor. But so what, I was happy, I was free roaming through the bushes, searching out mango walks, harnessing firewook but igniting my imagination through the smells, textures and tastes of a well-scoured countryside.

Maybe for parents, it really was difficult economically and so it was better to trade in such sanctuaries for development and progress.

For me, I'm happy knowing that there is still such a pocket on the island where children can run free and create their own entertainment and happiness instead of waiting wholly on the servings of cable television. And as a grown child, I'm glad there is such an escape.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Leaving me a comment will definitely put a bright spark in my day. Thanks for stopping by.