Monday, September 13, 2010

Shakespeare's Groundling

When he was alive, kicking and running his plays, William Shakespeare reserved the section immediately in front of the stage for people who were known as the groundlings. These groundlings were allowed into the theatre to hear a play at a mere cost of one penny. It's for this reason that they were also known as the "penny stinkers". In their day, these were the ones who could not afford to sit in the stands which attracted tickets at much higher prices. Instead, they rested on foot for the entire three-hour performance.

To some, it may seem a hard life, since standing on foot (sitting and squatting prohibited) in unpredictable London weather is no easy feat. Ignoring drizzling rain and chill, the groundlings in my opinion had the best spot in the house. They were on the ground and in the midst of all the action.

I got the experience of a groundling firsthand hearing King Henry IV Part 1. After paying a mere £5 (the modern equivalent to Shakespeare's penny) to enter the theatre, I took my place three rows from the stage steps. Not only did I see the actors, but felt them as they ran and pushed by my side onto the stage and was up close and personal with the commoners singing and dancing in the streets. I felt smack in the middle of the whole carnival. The madness was infectious and gave me a feverish high. Best yet, I never missed a joke or a con. My only regret is not having gone to see Macbeth where the groundlings were allowed to stand beneath black sheets with only their heads exposed like souls in hell.

If you haven't yet heard a play at the Shakespeare's Globe Theatre in this season's Kings and Rogues, hurry, plays are now running until October 3. Be sure to go as a groundling, now that's where the thrill is. And do dress appropriately. Sandals at this time, not really advised, it is London afterall.







No comments:

Post a Comment

Leaving me a comment will definitely put a bright spark in my day. Thanks for stopping by.