Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Crocodile

"Every country (if she's lucky) gets the Mark Twain she deserves, and Winkler is ours, bristling with savage Jamaican wit, heart-stopping compassion, and jaw-dropping humour all at once."
--Marlon James



Could you indulge me a bit? I want to tell you about my best day last week that still has a smile on my face.

I was going about my usual business when out of the blue I was asked, "Have you ever read any books by Anthony Winkler?". I suddenly remembered that Christmas spent laughing, crying, twisting and travelling with The Painted Canoe and a case of chicken pox. "Why?", I asked. "Anthony Winkler will be reading from his new novel -Crocodile - today at 2:30 p.m." As we say in Jamaica, I was there on my eyelash.


It was not a programme of any mention, but to hear Anthony Winkler read is a must-do on your bucket list. His non-melodramatic matter-of-fact style breathes familiarity with characters unmistakably Jamaican. I'm almost done reading the novel and believe me, I'm afraid to let it end.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leaving me a comment will definitely put a bright spark in my day. Thanks for stopping by.