Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Linton Kwesi Johnson


He said that everytime he wrote a poem, he had a reggae beat in his head. Without a doubt this is what gives the poetry of Linton Kwesi Johnson (LKJ) such rhythmic flow and a sound that pioneered the literary form known today as dub poetry.

Though the name Mutabaruka may have more recognition these days in the world of popular culture, it is the Jamaican Linton Kwesi Johnson who is actually credited (even by Muta himself) as the founding father of dub poetry. Until fairly recently, I must admit I had never heard anything of the man, but the body of his work is definitely worth close examination. And once you listen, you will feel compelled to include it among your musical and literary collections.

As for his work, I find that LKJ focuses his attention on the difficulties and experiences of the working class caribbean immigrants clinging for survival on the fringes of British society. Theirs is a story of racial oppression and systemic discrimination. His poetry with it's distinct reggae beat is intended for performance and celebrates the range and freedom of the Jamaican language, Patois. Above all, intentionally or not, he clearly dispells the myth of 'foreign as a bed of roses'. Instead he shows the cold and tough realities of the immigrants in the motherland.
LKJ has quite a few prestigious accomplishments under his belt. He is noted as the second living poet and the only black poet to be published in the Penguin Classics series; and is one of only three poets to be published by Penguin Modern Classics while still alive. If you ever get the chance to visit the Saison Poetry Library at the Southbank Centre in London, you will find his works in their magnificent collection among the likes of other 'top-notch poets'.
Of his poems, Dread Beat an Blood and Inglan is a Bitch are my favourite collections. But as an aspiring poet myself, my ultimate favourite is If I was a Tap Notch Poet. Watch LKJ read it here.

1 comment:

  1. Hi there my writer friend, this is a cool look for you.

    I'm happy you wrote about this gentleman because I have always heard of him and knew he was important to our culture but that all I knew and still know.I happen to have 3 or 4 collections of his in my collection that I received from a really good friend I have in France. A stay in Europe has enlightened me over and over about my own music and culture.I have failed to listen to the material I received,however,your little blog here has inspired me to take the time to hear what Mr.Johnson is saying.

    Big Up! and see you upon your return.hopefully.

    Nicole B

    ReplyDelete

Leaving me a comment will definitely put a bright spark in my day. Thanks for stopping by.