Friday, May 8, 2009

Weekend Itinerary


When I’m high in the Monday blues, all I can think about is the weekend that won’t come until the next FIVE DAYS! Then by the time Friday finally shows up and tippy its toes down to 5 o’clock, I am very determined to wring out every possibility of the weekend neck.

Today is absolutely no different and I can hardly wait to free my hands and get wrapped up with another cool book. Saturday mornings are the best , I don’t worry about getting carried away with the pages. And so what if those chores don't get done or those errands stay hanging in the balance – I would have travelled to some place other than the mundane.

Last week, in a hurry I picked up three books from The Readers' Book Shop in Liguanea. I spent Friday night into Saturday morning with Joan Hohl's Cutting Through. I decided to wait a bit before meeting the new folks in Harlan Coben's Promise Me. I still have some ways to go in this one but that's all part of the thrill - as is finding a nice spot to settle the spirit and dive in.

Believe it or not, a very nice place to do the business of rolling up with a book (if but for a change) is actually the Kingston Waterfront on Ocean Boulevard, right on the edge of the renowned Kingston Harbour. Sitting on the outskirts of the hustling activity of Downtown, this new promenade makes a cool reading spot for the one who understands the workings of the city and has the simple desire to get lost in the elements of sea breeze, stretches of ocean view across from sights of distant lands (Port Royal and Portmore) and iron birds taxiing in. Albeit a daytime-only reading spot, it has a nice, clean feel of public isolation. And, if you like the parodox of decay and potential, hope and loss that are encapsulated in Downtown, you might just enjoy the rustic arbor seating, leaning against the palm trees or getting flat on the somewhat kept lawns.
Whatever plans you have for this weekend (or none), do cozy up with a nice find, in your choice location. See you on Monday.
S.S.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leaving me a comment will definitely put a bright spark in my day. Thanks for stopping by.