Thursday, May 28, 2009

Taste the West Indies

During my student years, I was urged by a friend to have a read of The Lonely Londoners. Now some seven years later, I finally forced myself to read the first page. That was enough to keep me turning. It's a funny novel which represents the experience of West Indian migrants in the old city of London. It's a wonderful read, and if you ever really wanted to understand or really try out the West Indian accent, it should help with that too.

You may also like:

Run Big 'Fraid and other village stories by Errol Lee
Flying with Icarus by Curdella Forbes
Fool-Fool Rose Is Leaving Labour-in-Vain Savannah by Lorna Goodison


Do cozy up with one or all one of these fine weekends.

2 comments:

  1. hmmn i know that name - Sam Selvon. but i cant remember which book! i need to check out this one, should be interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Samuel Selvon is also the author of A Brighter Sun with the unforgettable Tiger and Urmilla, Indian culture and racial politics of Trinidad.

    ReplyDelete

Leaving me a comment will definitely put a bright spark in my day. Thanks for stopping by.