Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Paperback Upgrade

We've all heard the adage : You can't judge a book by its cover.

Well of late, that's a lot of what I find myself doing. More and more I'm giving in to the attraction of those newer type paperbacks with that vinyl-looking blend (I wish someone would tell me what it's called). Its sleek texture acts as the perfect canvas for cover designs, giving sceneries and art designs a rich and potent appearance that get the covers speaking. Look at a few, don't they just say: Pick me! Read me!



These covers in this type of paperback certainly have a modern edge that makes you want to jump on the bandwagon of being current and now. They also seem to hold out a better promise of depth and potency than the shallow fantasy of the glossy stunts. They also assure us that classics are not mere relics of the past but that the potential of literary works is alive and well and 'bests' are still to come.

So while the printed word does live on forever; like shoes, rooms, clothes, hairstyles and makeup, the quality of book covers also gets an upgrade from time to time. Paperbacks are no different.

S.S.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leaving me a comment will definitely put a bright spark in my day. Thanks for stopping by.